Samsung Series 9 to get Windows 8 Updates – No Touch

Posted on 29 August 2012 By

Samsung just presented their new range of Windows 8 devices. You’ve already seen the new Series 7 Slate and the Series 5 Touch but Samsung also announced that the Series 9 will get WIndows 8. No surprises there. The disappointing news is that it won’t have a touchscreen.

Untitled

Samsung also say that the system has been re-optimised, something that you’d expect anyway when a new OS is available.

A week ago the Series 9 was looking like the ultimate Ultrabook. With all the touch-version appearing now, I’m wondering if it might lose a bit of its shine.

What do you think?

, , ,

1. #1 by Rinnier on August 29, 2012 - 21:23

I don’t think a touchscreen is necessary in a clamshell device as long as the touchpad is highly optimized to take advantage of W8 unique gestures.

2. #2 by tempo on August 29, 2012 - 21:40

Agree, this kind of machine do not need touch. I prefer the matte display. Just bought mine, serie 9 Ivy. I guess the system still the same, maybe an optimized touchpad for win8 gestures.

3. #3 by xyz on August 29, 2012 - 21:41

What do you want with this horrible touchscreens? They are all glare, that’s a big no go! I really hate screens which aren’t matte. Everyone is just talking “Oh, it’s touch-enabled”, but nobody is thinking of the disadvantages. I cannot understand this behavior…

The Series 9 is still the best Ultrabook.

4. #4 by robert on August 29, 2012 - 22:08

I am still happy with my series 9 ivy bridge 13.3 inch:) shall i agonize about the follow up not being touch enabled? I too love the matt screen .. i will most likely update to windows 8 come october, I hope the learning curve wont be too steep:) if samsung wants to do something great they should try to improve the already fair battery life for the 13.3 inch.

5. #5 by vjachi on August 29, 2012 - 23:19

Well there is no 11″ Series 9. And touch screen on 13″ or 15″ is ridiculous. Besides the idea of touch screen in regular notebook is crazy and practically useless.
    For slates and convertible it’s good, but on regular…I just can’t imagine touching the screen of my 15″ Series 9 to scroll the page down or open a new tab “D

6. #6 by Chippy on August 29, 2012 - 23:34

I suggest you all check out my latest video on the subject. There is a case, actually there are multiple cases, for touch on a laptop form factor.

7. #7 by Adam on August 30, 2012 - 02:17

Yea! They didn’t ruin the best laptop ever made! *Smirk*

Adam

8. #8 by Tsuki on August 30, 2012 - 05:35

I’m still not convinced touch is going to be mainstream on non convertible notebooks.

Windows 8 might convince me to occasionally move my hands an inch off of home row to use the touchpad, but touchscreen still remains an input method only good for certain niche scenarios.

9. #9 by xyz on August 30, 2012 - 08:53

Yes Chippy, maybe. But

1) touch-input is not suitable when complexity raises

2) There is the question: What is worse: No touch features or no fingerprint-dirty, glare screen which really drives me crazy? Surely, this is very subjektive, but I prefer the matte non-touch solution.

10. #10 by Andrew on August 30, 2012 - 08:57

This is disappointing news? It’s the best fracking news related to ultra books I’ve read since the Zenbook Prime.

xyz fracking gets it !

11. #11 by Alexander on August 30, 2012 - 17:35

Non-touchscreen will be more preferable for me than touchscreen: using touchpad is more convenient than making passes by hands with a big screen.

12. #12 by Joe on August 30, 2012 - 18:36

I’d take a trackpoint over a touch screen. No need to move your hands away from the home row! A convertible design would be best to make the touch screen more useful than the mouse.

I like the Vaio Duo with its slider concept. Too bad it has an optical pad instead of a rubber nub. It’s too big (ie. large bezels) for having an 11.6″ screen which could make tablet use awkward. Videos show exposed wires that connect the screen and keyboard. A blogger mentioned moving the screen the wrong way felt like he’ll break it. I’m looking forward to version 2 of it if Sony makes one.

13. #14 by Name on August 30, 2012 - 23:35

Did Samsung come out with any new 11.6″ notebooks?

14. #15 by sportsbet on January 19, 2013 - 19:22

Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in fact was once a amusement account it. Glance complicated to far delivered agreeable from you! However, how could we keep up a correspondence?

Comments are closed.